As you can tell, our 2013 focus is the Orange City Food Pantry. So, what do they do? Here are some fun facts about this amazing ministry in our community. The folks at American Reformed Church began this work, but it quickly grew to be a total community effort, with most every church and community organization helping in some way:
- The Pantry opened January 20, 1982. It was the project of the children’s catechism classes. We have since grown to 15 partner churches.
- During 2012, 58 families came in to use the Pantry. Another 268 families received boxes at 3 special distributions held at Easter, the middle of July, and Thanksgiving. We provide fruit and hams for the Mid-Sioux Holiday Family program, serving over 200 families. Last Thanksgiving boxes were packed for 87 families.
- The boxes include many staple foods (flour, sugar, oil, canned fruits and vegetables, peanut butter, tuna, stew, cereal, rice, pasta) as well as paper goods and toiletries (tissue, toilet paper, dish soap, laundry detergent, body soap, toothpaste, shampoo). A voucher is given to each family to spend at the local grocery stores or meat market to purchase fresh foods and meats.
- At the special distributions, each church brings in a crew of workers to pack and deliver boxes. Junia Punt oversee the operations, and Mabel Mantel tends to daily duties like sorting and shelving the foods that are donated. She gets assistance from a few other people as needed. More hands are needed to prepare for the special distributions. All are volunteers.
As part of the Turkey Trot, all income beyond basic expenses will go to the Food Pantry, along with any donations of cash or food items participants bring.
Ready to register?
- Orange City Recreation has set up registration software for us: CLICK HERE.
- Click on “Register for Activities,” then “Race Event,” then “Turkey Trot.”
- Choose to register for either the run or walk, add it to your cart and proceed to check out.
If you would prefer to print out a registration, click on this file: 2013 Turkey Trot. Simply fill it our and return to Trinity Reformed Church, 201 St. Paul Ave. SE, Orange City, IA 51041.
E-mail questions to firstname.lastname@example.org